Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Walla Walla--Day 2

I decided not to write my first day, I was just too exhausted. I realized I’d been standing and observing for 8 hours…that will take it out of you! I didn’t expect to be observing so much, but it makes sense since it was my first day. The observing was different than my experiences prior to dental school. It was MUCH more interesting to observe when you know something about what the doctors are doing and the materials they are using. I called on so much information from my first year of dental school; it is amazing how much you learn in one year! I found I could also ask questions about procedures or materials and I would understand what they were talking about. It was great! Very different than shadowing before school where you may ask questions and think you sort of get what the doctor is talking about, but really you are befuddled. Observing was useful; however it tends to get boring after a full day of it so I was really hoping to be more hands-on the following day.

Today, Day 2, I was thrilled to be thrown in more and I’m told I will be more so soon. It was a busy day at the clinic because we were missing 2 assistants, but I managed to get in there. I was VERY excited to get to place anesthetic for my preceptor. I also assisted in a composite filling as well as a porcelain crown and veneer seating on 8 and 9 which were proving tricky. Beyond that I did lots of helping out with little duties around the clinic and was happy to help in any way I could to make a difficult day easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment