Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Yakima Day 2

Today was great! The doctor let me do an IA. I was so scared but the young girl was really sweet and I got it first time--no bone! I also did a lot of child prophys and observing a lot of procedures. I really like all the doctors there. Either during or after each procedure they take time to talk to me about it. I have had so many questions and learned so much so far, Brad I'm with you there will the pages of notes. Want something for to do--look up a Talon cusp. This little boy's x-ray looked funny to me so I asked the doctor what it was and he told me it's a Talon cusp that he sees often in Hispanic children. How I understood it was kind of like a big cingulum that is a cusp. The doctor thought that this one might be near the height of the incisal edge. It was really neat to hear him talk about it and crazy to see. I wish I was going to be there to see how it finally looks once the tooth is erupted.

The children in the clinic always bring a smile to my face, I love having them there! This young boy today was so cute, he kept "biting my finger" during the prophy and I kept fake screaming and telling him I needed to keep those so I could clean more teeth. He thought it was so funny and his 2 year old brother soon caught onto the trick and made his mom do it to him. It was really cute. It was just so neat to see the little boy so scared to be in the chair and by the end so excited to be there. He told me that today was "super cool" with 2 thumbs up.

I got frustrated today with the language barrier. I hate that I can't speak Spanish. All the assistants are great about translating for me but I hate that I can't understand. This one mother told me that I should learn a few words in Spanish--so that's my goal. I'm heading to Barnes and Noble this weekend to find and idiots guide to Spanish. I just want to communicate with the patients a little better. The 10 year old boy I was with today taught me a little (I tend to hang out with them when we are waiting for the doctor, they make me laugh and teach me lots).

We'll see what tomorrow has in store for me, last day in Yakima then off to Ellensburg for a few weeks!

1 comment: